• Supports highly efficient generation of functional neurons from hPSC-derived neuronal precursors
• Produces a highly pure population (≥ 90% neurons) of mixed excitatory and inhibitory neurons that can be maintained long-term in culture
• Optimized for differentiation of neuronal progenitor cells generated using the STEMdiff™ SMADi Neural Induction Kit EB Protocol
• Supports neuronal activity for physiologically relevant results
• Enables reproducible maturation of neuronal precursors derived from multiple human ES and iPS cell lines
- STEMdiff™ Forebrain Neuron Differentiation Basal Medium
- STEMdiff™ Forebrain Neuron Differentiation Supplement
This product is designed for use in the following research area(s) as part of the highlighted workflow stage(s). Explore these workflows to learn more about the other products we offer to support each research area.
Data and Publications
Figure 1. Schematic for the Embryoid Body Protocol
Forebrain-type neural precursors can be generated in 18 - 19 days from hPSC-derived neural progenitor cells (NPCs) after selecting neural rosettes from replated embryoid bodies. For the maturation of precursors to forebrain-type neurons, see the PIS.
Figure 2. Schematic for the Monolayer Protocol
Forebrain-type neural precursors can be generated from neural progenitor cell (NPC) monolayers derived from embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells after three single-cell passages. For the maturation of precursors to forebrain-type neurons, see the PIS.
Figure 3. Forebrain-Type Neurons Are Generated After Culture in STEMdiff™ Forebrain Neuron Differentiation and Maturation Kits
NPCs generated from hPSCs in mTeSR 1™ using the STEMdiff™ SMADi Neural Induction Kit embryoid body (EB) protocol were differentiated and matured to forebrain-type neurons using the STEMdiff™ Forebrain Neuron Differentiation and Maturation Kits. (A) Forebrain-type neurons were formed after iPS cell-derived NPCs were cultured with the STEMdiff™ Forebrain Neuron Differentiation Kit for 7 days and STEMdiff™ Forebrain Neuron Maturation Kit for 14 days. The resulting cultures contain a highly pure population of (B) class III β-tubulin-positive neurons (green), with (C) fewer than 10% astrocytes (GFAP-positive cells, red). (D) Nuclei are labeled with DAPI (blue).
Figure 4. Performance of STEMdiff™ Neuron and the STEMdiff™ Forebrain Neuron Differentiation and Maturation Kits
Neural progenitor cells (NPCs) were derived using the monolayer protocol for the STEMdiff™ SMADi Neural Induction Kit, from H9 ES cells maintained in mTeSR™ 1. NPCs were then differentiated into forebrain-type neurons using either A) STEMdiff™ Neuron Differentiation and Maturation Kits or B) the equivalent-performing STEMdiff™ Forebrain Neuron Differentiation and Maturation Kits according to protocol instructions (see product information sheets for Catalog #08600/08605). The resulting neurons were fixed for immunofluorescence. Both sets of products demonstrate equivalent differentiation efficiency, with a yield of ≥90% class III ꞵ-tubulin-positive neurons (green) and ≤10% GFAP-positive astrocytes (red).