When added to serum-free medium, StemSpan™ Megakaryocyte Expansion Supplement typically promotes the production of hundreds of megakaryocytes per input CD34+ cell in 14-day liquid cultures initiated with CD34+ human CB cells. See data tab for more details.
This product is recommended for:
• Research into the regulation of megakaryocytopoiesis
• Development of procedures to expand megakaryocytes and platelets in culture
• Optimized for use with StemSpan™ media. When combined with StemSpan™ SFEM II in particular, supports up to 2-fold higher expansion of megakaryocytes from human CD34+ CB cells than other serum-free media on the market.
• Supplied as a 100X concentrate. After thawing and mixing, the tube contents can be added directly to any hematopoietic cell expansion medium of choice.
• Recombinant human interleukin 6 (IL-6)
• Recombinant human interleukin 9 (IL-9)
• Recombinant human thrombopoietin (TPO)
This product is designed for use in the following research area(s) as part of the highlighted workflow stage(s). Explore these workflows to learn more about the other products we offer to support each research area.
Data and Publications
Figure 1. Production of Megakaryocytes by Expansion and Lineage-Specific Differentiation of CD34+ Human Cord Blood Cells Cultured in StemSpan™ SFEM Containing Megakaryocyte Expansion Supplement
Flow cytometry dot plots showing expression of the hematopoietic stem and progenitor cell marker CD34 and megakaryocyte markers CD41a and CD42b (A) before and (B,C) after culture of CD34+ cord blood cells for 14 days in StemSpan™ SFEM containing Megakaryocyte Expansion Supplement. The frequency of CD34+ cells declined from 90% before culture to <3% after 14 days, in parallel with a gradual accumulation of CD41a+CD42b+ megakaryocytes from 80% before and after culture, respectively.
Table 1. Production of Megakaryocytes from CD34+ Human Cord Blood Cells Cultured in StemSpan™ SFEM Containing Megakaryocyte Expansion Supplement
Numbers and percent of CD41a+ cells produced after 14 days of culture of enriched CD34+ cells from 6 independent cord blood (CB) samples.
*95% confidence limits, the range within which 95% of the results will typically fall.
Figure 2. Comparison of Megakaryocyte Expansion in Different StemSpan™ Media Containing Megakaryocyte Expansion Supplement
(A) Average numbers and (B) frequencies of CD41+ megakaryocytic cells normalized relative to the values obtained in StemSpan™ SFEM (grey bars) after culturing purified CD34+ cord blood cells (n=6) for 14 days in StemSpan™ SFEM, SFEM II (gold bars) and ACF (orange bars) media containing Megakaryocyte Expansion Supplement. Vertical lines indicate 95% confidence limits, the range within which 95% of results typically fall.
*The numbers of CD41a+ cells were significantly higher in SFEM II (p<0.01, paired t-test, n=6) compared to SFEM and ACF medium.