StemSpan™ CD34+ Expansion Supplement typically promotes ~40-fold expansion of total nucleated cells in 7-day liquid cultures of CD34+ human cord blood (CB) cells. After one week, ~40% of the cultured cells express CD34, indicative of >10-fold expansion of input CD34+ CB cells. This expansion may be further increased with the addition of small molecules such as UM729. See data tab for more details.
StemSpan™ CD34+ Expansion Supplement (10X) is intended for use in combination with any of the following StemSpan™ media:
• StemSpan™ SFEM (Catalog #09600)
• StemSpan™ SFEM II (Catalog #09605)
• StemSpan™-XF (Catalog #100-0073)
• StemSpan™-ACF Without Phenol Red (Catalog #100-0130)
• Optimized for use with StemSpan™ media. When combined with StemSpan™ SFEM II in particular, supports at least 50% higher expansion of CD34+ human CB cells when compared to other serum-free media on the market.
• Supplied as a 10X concentrate. After thawing and mixing, the tube contents can be added directly to any hematopoietic cell expansion medium of choice.
• Recombinant human stem cell factor (SCF)
• Recombinant human interleukin 3 (IL-3)
• Recombinant human interleukin 6 (IL-6)
• Recombinant human thrombopoietin (TPO)
• Other additives
This product is designed for use in the following research area(s) as part of the highlighted workflow stage(s). Explore these workflows to learn more about the other products we offer to support each research area.
Data and Publications
Table 1. HSC Expansion Culture with CD34+ Human Cord Blood Cells Cultured in StemSpan™ SFEM Containing CD34+ Expansion Supplement
Shown are the percent CD34+ cells, fold expansion of total nucleated cells (TNC) and CD34+ cells, and numbers of colony-forming units (CFU) produced per input CD34+ cell after 7 days of hsc expansion culture of enriched CD34+ cells from six independent cord blood (CB) samples.
*95% confidence limits, the range within which 95% of the results will typically fall.
ND: not done
Figure 1. Comparison of CD34+ Cell Expansion in Different StemSpan™ Media Containing CD34+ Expansion Supplement
Average expansion of (A) total nucleated cells (TNC), (B) CD34+ cells and (C) colony-forming units (CFU), normalized relative to the values obtained in StemSpan™ SFEM (grey bars) after culturing purified hematopoietic CD34+ cord blood cells (n=6) for 7 days in StemSpan™ SFEM, SFEM II (gold bars) or ACF (orange bars) media containing CD34+ Expansion Supplement. Vertical lines indicate 95% confidence limits, the range within which 95% of results will typically fall. Cell yields in StemSpan™ SFEM II were on average ~60% higher than in StemSpan™ SFEM and StemSpan™ ACF.
*p<0.001, #p<0.05 (paired t-test, n=6 in A and B, n=4 in C).