Your High-Performance System for MSC Isolation, Culture & Differentiation
Why Use MesenCult™?
- Species-optimized media formulations provide superior performance compared to traditional and competitor media.
- A comprehensive and integrated range of products is available for the enrichment, expansion, quantification (CFU-F Assay) and differentiation of human and mouse mesenchymal stem cells.
- Standardized media and culture conditions minimize variability and lead to increased reproducibility between experiments.
- Isolate, culture, cryopreserve and differentiate MSCs with animal component-free, serum-free formulations.
Animal Component-Free Media
Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) have potential utility in a range of cellular therapies, with applications relating to tissue engineering and regenerative medicine, and as vehicles for gene therapy. The limited global supply of fetal bovine serum (FBS) and concerns about immune rejection of transplanted cells or disease transmission make animal component-free media an attractive alternative when expanding cells to numbers for therapeutic purposes.
MesenCult™-ACF media together allow for the optimized isolation, clonogenic growth, cryopreservation, long-term expansion and differentiation of human MSCs derived from primary tissues (bone marrow and adipose). To date, this is the only complete and integrated culture system completely free of serum and other materials derived from human or animal sources. With animal component-free media, experimental variability is minimized, and the safety concerns associated with exposure to animal-derived materials in translational research are addressed.
MesenCult™ for Human MSCs
- MSC isolation and expansion from primary human bone marrow or adipose tissue as well as culture-expanded cells
- Long-term culture of MSCs (>8 passages)
- Detection and enumeration of CFU-F from primary human bone marrow or adipose tissue
- Defined, animal component-free
- Optimized for isolation of MSC directly from primary human tissue
- Superior cell expansion compared to serum-containing medium
- Significant reduction in hematopoietic cell contamination at early passages
- Supports efficient clonogenic growth and long-term expansion of human MSCs
- No adaptation required when transitioning MSCs from serum-containing medium
- Defined, serum-free and animal component-free
- Reproducibly high recovery rates
- Preserves human MSC multipotency and expansion capacities
- Convenient, ready-to-use format
- Optimized for MSCs previously expanded in MesenCult™ (Human), MesenCult™-XF or MesenCult™-ACF
- Defined, animal component-free (ACF) formulation
- Robust chondrogenic differentiation with as few as 3 x105 MSCs per 3D pellet and as early as day 14
- Strong expression of chondrogenic transcripts - Sox9, Acan, Col2a and Col10a; low expression of hypertrophic transcript Mmp13
- Completes optimized ACF workflow for MSC isolation, expansion, cryopreservation and chondrogenic differentiation when used with other MesenCult™-ACF media
- Compatible with MSCs previously expanded in MesenCult™ (Human), MesenCult™-XF or MesenCult™-ACF
MesenCult™ for Mouse MSCs
- Derivation and expansion of mouse MSCs and MEFs
- Enumeration of mouse MSCs and MEFs using the CFU-F assay
- Fast expansion of mouse MSCs with robust enrichment as early as passage 0
- Optimized for use with mouse bone marrow-, compact bone- and adipose-derived MSCs and MEFs
- Obtain homogeneous mouse MSC cultures while maintaining tri-lineage differentiation potential
- Rigorous raw material screening and quality control minimize lot-to-lot variability
- In vitro differentiation of mouse MSCs and mouse embryonic fibroblasts (MEFs) into osteoblasts
- Bone development studies
- Achieve unparalleled levels of osteogenic differentiation compared to competitor formulations
- Superior expression of key osteogenic transcripts involved in bone differentiation and maturation
- Robust bone matrix deposition (Alizarin Red staining)
Serum-Free Culture of Human Bone-Marrow Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells
Serum-Free Culture of Human Adipose-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells
3D Bioreactor Culture Systems for Mesenchymal Stem Cells
Tan KY et al. (2015) Serum-free media formulations are cell line-specific and require optimization for microcarrier culture. Cytotherapy 17(8): 1152-65
Hervy M et al. (2014) Long term expansion of bone marrow-derived hMSCs on novel synthetic microcarriers in xeno-free, defined conditions. PLoS One. 9(3):e92120
Serum-Free Culture of Human Umbilical Cord-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells
Chen G et al. (2014) Human Umbilical Cord-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells Do Not Undergo Malignant Transformation during Long-Term Culturing in Serum-Free Medium. PLoS One 9(6):e98565
Chen GC et al. (2014) Monitoring the biology stability of human umbilical cord-derived mesenchymal stem cells during long-term culture in serum-free medium. Cell Tissue Bank 15(4): 513-21
Zhou P et al. (2013) Serum-free culture of umbilical cord-derived mesenchymal stem cells. Zhongquo Shi Yan Xue Ye Xue Za Zhi 21(5): 1256-60